Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Make Up in a School Setting: Faut-on ou Faux Pas?

So we've seen a little slice of what some French people like to keep on hand for their everyday beauty needs in my recent bathroom spy posts, but can we see any of these products in use out in the everyday world? Are there certain situations where makeup is more appropriate? Less appropriate?

I guess I'll start by talking about what I have seen in my work place - two different middle schools. From what I experienced as a student in the US, I expected teachers in France to be dressed more or less business casual, with maybe the rare exception to the rule in the gym teacher or the long-time prof. What I found, however, was much more casual. Teachers, basically, can wear whatever they want within the limits of reason. Jeans are an everyday kind of thing for teachers in my French middle schools, which I never saw any of my teachers wearing as a kid unless there was a fundraiser going on for Casual Friday.

Mirroring the more casual trend in dress, my female French colleagues don't seem to wear a lot of make-up to school on a daily basis. Whether or not the majority wear a tinted moisturizer or BB cream to even out imperfections I don't know, but I do note that the overall look is generally bare faced. (Most of the French people I've met have FABULOUS skin, so they can rock this look pretty well.) I will come across the occasional beauty regular, but their choice of colors and application always steers towards a more natural look rather than a bold one. I love a red lip or a dramatic cat eye at all times of the day, so my makeup choices really stand out and have actually been a topic of conversation with some of my students.

What do you guys think? Do you expect something different from what is rumored to be the most fashionable country in the world? Have you seen similar things in your experience in French schools? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment